Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Strap Happy--Tutorial

When I was in the 7th grade I took a photography class and fell in love. I carried around my Dad's SLR (film) camera with an awesome orange and brown strap. I took the camera everywhere and have some really good blackmail pictures of my friends and I "modeling". Ever since then I have wanted my own SLR camera.

Fast forward 18 years and I still am dreaming of owning my own SLR. Right now I am sporting a camera that looks like a mini SLR but doesn't have the speed or all the options. One thing my camera does have in common though is a neck strap, and it is uncomfortable. When the weather is hot my neck gets all sticky and I don't enjoy having to wear my camera. I have been wanting to make a fabric camera strap and since it seems like everyone else has an SLR, sniff, sniff... I thought you might want to know how to also!

How to get Strap Happy:

Start by measuring the webbing of your strap, length and width.

Don't include the leather in your measurement because it will not be covered. My strap is not as wide as an SLR so the measurements will be different.

Double the width of you measurement and add 1 inch. This will allow for seams and the thickness of the strap. Also add 1 inch to the length for seams.

Now cut your fabric. I used scraps that I had so I pieced them together but you can use one piece or even one print on the front and another on the back. That would make it reversible too. If you do use scraps make sure to allow for seam allowances so your final product is the correct length.


On each end fold over 1/4 inch and press with your iron. Fold over another 1/4 inch and sew across. This will give you a nice finished end.

once...

twice...

Optional: Iron on some interfacing. This material will make the fabric more sturdy and add some thickness. If you don't have interfacing, no big deal. Another idea is to sew fleece on the inside to make it soft.


Fold the fabric in half length-wise with the right sides together. Pin and sew: 1/4 inch seam.



Using a safety pin turn the fabric right side out. Press the strap with the seam in the back.


Now you are ready to thread your strap through and start wearing your camera with style. If you need help getting the camera strap through the fabric, use the safety pin again.



This was so easy to make that I think I might need another one in summer colors! A little side note, if you are making a strap for an SLR camera it would be great to add a little pocket on one of the ends to hold your lens cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment